After I published my previous blog post, I sent it to my friend. He responded by sending me his first blog post, which was similar to my first. In his post, he outlined the process of setting up his website with Hexo and Netlify, which was possible because it was a static site.

However, I would be losing most of the functionality of WordPress with the posting and updating. Now, I would have to use Markdown - something I had never used before. I did learn LaTeX on my own though, so this should be fine.

Instead of using Hexo, I decided to use Hugo since there seemed to be better documentation and it had themes I liked. I spent quite a while looking at themes:

Eventually, I decided on Fuji. I’d see how it turned out, and then change it if necessary. Time to follow the quick start guide!


Okay, so the first post is set up. Now I have to get the pages working.

Like, two hours later, I got everything working. By that, I mean I first tried to create pages on my own, had trouble linking everything, gave up, and just copied the example site’s folder hierarchy to my own and changed a few names n’ stuff. But it works now, so I’ll transfer my WordPress posts over and then set up GitHub/Netlify.

A few minutes later, I found out that it doesn’t actually work the way I wanted it to. But I’m not gonna fix it now, since it’s still functional. I might also change themes soon so it won’t matter anyways.

I ran into a problem: on the dark theme, images would be darker than usual. I’ve been looking for a solution, but nothing came up yet. I’ll leave it as is for now. Time for the Netlify!


Everything is going great! Except…

It doesn’t deploy.

To fix it, I made a netlify.toml file which should fix the Hugo version used by Netlify. Now it works!


I just linked my domain, so it should work with soon. Overall, this has been an interesting experience, and if it’s sustainable, I’ll be using this for my website.

Time to go play Valorant.